This is a small glimpse of some of the work I’ve produced. Due to confidentiality, many items cannot be posted online.
Investigating a medieval and Roman archaeological mystery
This fascinating story featured a professor who was creating a 3-D model of a medieval Spanish city that held many mysteries, including a church with walls containing Roman and medieval gravestones.
Game-changing research examines Great Lakes contaminants
In this story, I interviewed two biologists to learn how freshwater mussels — and ultimately, our waterways in Michigan — are impacted by pharmaceuticals, shampoo and chemicals.
Why creativity is up to you, not the muses
Creative self-efficacy is a management concept that is hard to grasp at first. It took some creativity to write this story in a way it could be relatable and useful for our audiences.
See more published work on Content.ly
Fashioning a media pitch
Throughout 2017, I’ve garnered coverage across the state of CMU’s fashion merchandising and design program. Coverage includes a story about the department’s work on a coat made for the homeless (9&10, 7&4, ABC 12) , a 3-D body scanning project (ABC 12, 9&10, WCMU, WILX, ) and the student-run fashion show.
Zombie/religion story receives national and international coverage
Persistence pays off. When I began pitching this story about a religion professor, I heard nothing but crickets from the media. Eventually, I got through and it was picked up by 234 news outlets (13 in Michigan, 194 in the U.S. and 27 international) and had a total reach of 545 million. The professor was receiving so many requests that she had to stop accepting media interviews.
Spring into Service and Make a Difference Day
The Saginaw Community Foundation’s two key annual volunteer events always garnered interest from the media. I coordinated media relations for the annual Spring Into Service event at Celebration Zoo, which was covered on TV5 Wake Up. This included four interviews during the morning and additional coverage in the afternoon. The Saginaw News and ABC 12 News also covered the event.
Pitching a Wall Street Journal blogger
I garnered coverage on the Wall Street Journal blog “Laid Off And Looking” in 2009. The blog post, Advice: Surviving An Early-Career Layoff, featured an interview with Heather Huhman, president of Come Recommended.
2016 Central Michigan University State of the University report
The accordion-like design of the print version of this annual report gave me a unique copywriting challenge. The information had to be concise and clearly communicate the university’s achievements in the 2015-16 fiscal year. View the web version. Additional content included emails to legislators and high school counselors, as well as social media promotions.
2011 Saginaw Community Foundation annual report
With the goal of better educating audiences about what the Saginaw Community Foundation does for its community, the 2011 annual report received a complete upgrade. I wrote the content and developed the design concept, which was implemented by AMPM in Midland, Michigan. Learn more or view the PDF of the report.
2010 Dow Corning Foundation annual report
In this inaugural annual report, it was important to communicate the impact of each grant and how it affected the people who live and work in the Great Lakes Bay Region. View the report.
Web & Digital
Saginaw Community Foundation website redesign
I managed the launch of the new website, including reorganization/navigation, design, copywriting, editing, management and analytics. The website was built on WordPress. Upon completion and evaluation, the website saw an increase in the average page view from 338 per month to 15,547 per month. The average visit duration on the website in one year doubled and the bounce rate decreased 67% per month to 31% per month.
As a freelancer, I developed the Pure Barre Grand Rapids monthly e-newsletter (which had a 62.5% open rate) and the Pure Barre Midland marketing email (which had a 32.9% open rate). I also wrote the Social Media Club Great Lakes Bay event promotion emails during my time as president (with a 40.5% open rate).
- Developed the CMU Social Media Guidelines, outlining best practices and brand policies for colleges, departments and service units at the university
- Developed the CMU social media content strategy to guide brand voice and engagement
- Organically grew social media channels, including increasing Facebook likes from 32,803 to 72,000+ and increasing Twitter followers from 4,643 to 26,600+ in less than four years
- Launched the Schools App, a private Facebook community for newly admitted students, which was joined by more than 4,200 incoming students; these students have made more than 21,000 friendships with each other and more than 21,000 posts and comments in the first seven months
- Created the #LifeAtCentral Instagram Contest, which reached 47,500+ people with 120,000+ impressions and increased followers by nearly 40 percent in its inaugural year
- Created and oversaw the implementation of the annual 28 Things to Love About #LifeAtCentral campaign, which increased awareness of the university’s offerings each year in February
- Wrote content for the CMU virtual tour site launch, which had 204,737 page views from 14,298 unique users in its first four months
- Managed the development of web-based student profiles for the 2015 university marketing campaign
CMU Alternative Breaks infographic
This infographic was designed using Piktochart to show national and statewide impact. View the infographic within the story I wrote to accompany it.
26 tools and resources for higher ed professionals and faculty
This handout designed to be an educational resource for faculty, staff and administrators. It was designed in Piktochart.
Journalism & Blogging
- Vino to vent by – Feature story about Whine in Midland; published in Mid Michigan’s Second Wave)
- Nature Preschool puts twist on education – Feature story about the Chippewa Nature Center; published in Mid Michigan’s Second Wave
- A job worth getting is a job worth making – Feature story published in the print and online versions of brass|Magazine
- Helping PR interns thrive and succeed – A guest post published on the PRtini blog
- #socialwedding – An article published in the Midland Daily News’ bridal section
- 10 Career Lessons from “The Walking Dead” – A blog post published on LinkedIn
- Welcome to the real world … sorry, there isn’t a syllabus – A blog post published on LinkedIn